Notice: Any comments made by me, are my own, and should not be construed to be those of anyone else, or any organization or association.

Tuesday, April 24, 2012

America, Is She Terminal?

(This is an updated version of an earlier post.)
It saddens me to see her so sick. She is down, and from the looks of her, she could be terminally ill. She's been through so much in her life. Many have attacked her, wounded her, trampled on her, tried so hard to make her disappear from the planet. Today, she is under such extreme attacks, and this time, from within her own family. If she goes, I just don't know what I'll do, and I am sad at the prospect.

America - Oh, how I love her name. America - Oh, how I love my country. America - Oh, how sad I am of what far too many are trying to do to her, make her become, make her into what she was never meant to be.

Why do I say all this? Because, today, it looks to me like the "government of the people, by the people, and for the people", has been plowed under by the swarm of hungry...power hungry... politicians and bureaucrats. The "government", has become the BIG manager in most all aspects of our lives and businesses. Now, with trillions of dollars of taxpayer money, BIG government has now decided what to do with OUR money...and our future money...and even with our very lives.

No long ago, the President of Mexico was permitted... encouraged and applauded...to address our congress and criticise one of our own states. Now add to that, our government may consider letting 11 other countries join in a law suit against Arizona. THIS government, OUR government (to include Arizona) has turned on one of our own. If they succeed, with the help of foreign countries, then who will be safe in challenging the "government" on the next issue?

I am absolutely convinced that our forefathers would be up-in-arms over what they see today. In fact, they WERE up-in-arms some 235+ years ago. And WHY were they up-in-arms? They were fed up with the strong arms tactics and imposition of unfair taxes upon the colonies and the citizens of the New World. Britain, at that time, WAS the government. And THAT government wanted to impose its will, and taxes, in every way it saw fit to do. Sound familiar?

Well, with TRILLIONS of dollars promised by THIS government, on top of the about 5 Trillion before President Bush left office, WHO will pay for all that? WHO will be taxed to pay for the sins and mistakes by our own government and big business? And when it comes down to it - just how many, what percent, of our citizens really wanted the health-care reform act that was passed, or want to pay for it? The top ten polls of that time were clear - a majority of Americans were against THAT bill. But it didn't matter to those who hold the power. They forced it into law anyway. They DID NOT listen to "the people".

And now, with the majority of Americans supporting what Arizona is trying to do, THIS "government", supported by 11 foreign countries, is ignoring the will of the people, and going after them anyway.

Add to all that, Obama just signed an Act into law, that grants huge arrests power to the Secret Service, to arrest anyone THEY think "could" be inside some arbitrary protective zone the President, or other Politicial figure, is speaking and traveling. You could be arrested and held, without trial, for what THEY could interpret as Hate speech, even it it's just anti-government political speech. Free speech? Sounds like extremely limited free speech. Where does that end?

THIS is NOT America. This is something else, but it is NOT America. Businesses grow. Businesses go under. The natural evolution of capitalism has been circumvented by the rich and powerful political machine. Now, our government will decide who makes it, and who won't. The ever increasing government hand, has now grown to control the direction of business, and us...we, the people. That BIG government hand, is around the freedom neck of America.

I am sick at what we have become. And in 2008, we (I say we, because WE are all in this together.) voted in the biggest bunch of power hungry people in the history of our country. And with that, we are being sold out. I weep for my America. I weep for the country that spread freedom, helped other people and countries in times of natural disaster and tyranny. I weep for those who came before us, and died in an effort to keep America free, and keep America as a land of "for the people, by the people". The people we have in Washington today, are NOT "the people", but they are there...BECAUSE we let them be there. The personal agendas and greed for power, is limitless. And Americans put them there. Shame on us.

So, I sit by the death bed of the America I love and have believed in. I watch helplessly as she succumbs to the trampling on the long held belief's of a nation of free people and non-intrusive government. Before long, her colors could remain, but the stripes will be removed, the stars gone, and some new "Obama-like" symbol will replace her. Letters and emails have failed, and I know of no cure to help. Good men sit by, while other men want to turn off her life support machine. Freedom of her people is old fashioned, in the eyes of our new power mongers.

Pardon my ramblings, and perhaps lack of delivery in this addition, but my sadness almost over-takes me, and the grief I am feeling for what I fear is coming, has a grip on me. I pray for HONEST change this November (2012). Even though I don't see a lot better to choose from, we MUST make changes, and often, in that highest of offices. We MUST make them understand, their seats are a temporary one, and granted by US, to serve US, not rule us.

Am I alone? Are there any other voices that share in this feeling?

God Bless America, for as long as we still have her. - Dan

PS. While not exclusive to Veterans, the sound of her name, "America", and the songs about her, i.e.  America, America the Beautiful, God Bless America, The Star Spangled Banner, etc., bring goose bumps to us, as does the raising or passing of our Flag. What is happening to America, and the ever growing disrespect for her, is hard to swallow for THIS Veteran.

2 comments:

  1. This is NOT a new law! It is old law initiated by the NIXON administration and merely updated by both sides of the aisle in Congress. It was given to the President to sign, and he signed it. And NOT in secrecy, as the internet is trying to insinuare! If you are going to write a blog, get your facts straight. Otherwise, you lose your credability!http://www.factcheck.org/2012/05/obama-criminalize-free-speech/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Now that you have set the record straight about HR 347 Mr. Cunningham, I still stand by the basic premise of the post, as I still worry that ALL infringments, by ALL Presidents, may cause us to lose the America we have known.

    As for my "credability", I'll leave that to the readers who stop in.

    ReplyDelete