Notice: Any comments made by me, are my own, and should not be construed to be those of anyone else, or any organization or association.

Saturday, February 26, 2011

Should America Be Feared?

Yes! But let me explain where I'm coming from.

From my early childhood days, I feared many people and things. I feared my parents. I feared my school principals. I feared the police. I feared some bullies. I feared what Cuba might do. I feared the moonless night on a Kentucky farm. I feared those things (and more) for different reasons.

As for my parents, school principals, and police officers - I feared them IF I did wrong. I feared the wrath that would come, if I did wrong. I didn't fear living with them, or going to school, or seeing the police drive down the street. But I respected them, for who they were and what they each stood for.

Bullies were another matter. I feared getting beat up, for NO reason. I feared crossing their paths, because I knew they needed no reason for coming after me. But I had NO respect for them.

I feared the moonless night on my great uncle's Kentucky farm, because I didn't know what might be "out there" in the dark. Respect played no part of it, I was just scared of the unknown.

Cuba, as well as Russia, were a threat to our nation, and I feared destruction from their missiles. Our nations were at odds, and I had no control over what might happen, but knew that Dayton, my home town, was a target. And I had no respect for those countries.

It seems to me, that America is no longer feared, and barely respected. We used to be both. And I see it this way. One can be both feared, and respected. And I think America should be both.

We should be feared. Feared that if another country, or even any group of people, would try to do us harm, a world of hurt would come down upon them. Come down hard, fast, and survivability in extreme doubt. With that, we should use all degrees of force needed, plus one, to defeat those who would attack us.

As for respect? Respect, in that for all others in the world, we can be counted on for aid of all kinds, in times of natural calamities, and hostile threats. If you are not our enemy, then expect our friendship. In turn, we should respect the sovereignty and laws of other nations, and expect our laws to be respected when others visit us.

America leads the world in aid. Our military is almost always first on the scene for some nation in times of natural disaster. American taxpayers have provided untold billions in relief and support. Too much in some cases, as we've given money to countries who only betray us later, or betray their own people.

To the countries around the world, I would say this - If you need and want our help and friendship, we're here for you. But if you mean us harm, militarily or otherwise, then don't hold your hand out for anything other than a slap-down. If our aid, comes with conditions you don't like, then simply don't ask or take our help. There are other countries out there who might help, so talk to them. But the days of holding a hand out for help with one hand, while holding a gun to do us harm in the other, should be forever laid to rest. Pick one, but not both!

No comments:

Post a Comment