Notice: Any comments made by me, are my own, and should not be construed to be those of anyone else, or any organization or association.

Saturday, February 26, 2011

Immigration - One man's view

Jobs, the economy, and immigration. With some debate, I expect those are a few the top US issues of the day. But it seems that "immigration" may bring more heated debate than most the others. I know I have strong opinions on the subject, and some of those may surprise a few folks.

I'll say right here and now - I DO NOT blame those illegals who come to make for a better life for their families. If I were in their shoes, I'd do what ever I could to get my family away from any bad situation, be it in Mexico, Columbia, Iraq, China, or where ever I was. You wouldn't?

But, I would expect several things to apply to my situation, and this is where I feel we need to focus.

1.  I would expect to find and use the legal avenues available to get into the country I chose to enter. I can't help my family if I'm dodging the authorities, or in jail.
2.  I would want to assimilate into my new country, as soon as I could. That means learning the language and laws.
3.  If my "homeland" was so bad that I had to leave, then I would also expect to re-align my allegiance to my new country. ("I pledge allegiance to the flag .....")
4.  I would do all I could to pay my own way, and not be a new burden to my new country.

There is another element to the illegals that need addressed. And that is those who only wish to come in for seasonal work. I expect them to "use the door" too. That is, use the Ports Of Entry, provide identification, and be subjected to a criminal background check.

But for any of that to happen, legally, we DO need practical immigration change. We do NOT need an open border, or amnesty. Here is what I would propose -

A.  Close the borders...TIGHT. (Bring some of military home from other world settings, to man the border.)
B.  Streamline our alien entry to permit anyone to enter, with a temporary, and easily renewable, visa. Visas,
while easily renewable, can only be renewed after the foreign national returns to their own country for at
least 30 days. A criminal background checks would be done.
C.  For seasonal workers, a worker visa would be issued with a shorter visa time period, and then, only with a sponsor employer, who also had to get a permit to employ such workers. (No permit? HEAVY fines!)
D.  For those wishing to become US citizens, they must attend classes to help them assimilate into the
country, and MUST swear an allegiance to their new country.
E.  Lastly, the issue of anchor babies,  i.e. those born in the US when the parents are foreign nationals. I suggest a change in the law that would change this situation, and any baby being born in the US, who's parents are NOT US citizens, would NOT gain US citizenship.
Weather it's Ellis Island, or Douglass, Arizona, I expect those wishing to become American citizens to use the door. Not sneak in through the back door or window, like a thief in the night.

To those who would call those of us against ILLEGAL immigration "racists". Kiss my butt. Get it through your very thick head, that isn't about LEGAL immigration. It's all about ILLEGAL immigration. And it's time to FIX the problem.

No comments:

Post a Comment